Local Wedding Planning
   Wedding Planning
   Wedding Attire
   Honeymoon / Travel
   Fun & Entertainment
   In The Beginning
   Baby & You
Featured Photographer
Wedding Music Selection
Tips & Traditions
Marriage License
Name Change
Planning Checklist

Name Change

Marriage – Change Your Maiden Name
If you are recently married and would like to change your maiden name, you don’t need to file a petition with the court.  Your marriage certificate serves as your “proof” and you just need to update the Department of Motor Vehicles, Social Security administration, banks , passports credit cards ect.

You will need certified copies of your marriage certificate.  A photocopy will not be accepted.  Contact the office where your marriage certificate was issued, and ask for, about three certified copies.  There is a small fee for the certified copies…

How to change your name on your driver’s license, Photo ID card, Learner’s permit, vehicle registration and title.

Click on the link below for all of the information and forms needed.
All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency.  They will not accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

How to change your name on your Social Security Card.
click on “requesting a social security card”
click on “correcting a card”
You will need to fill out the application named “SS-5”

•    Show proof of your:
•    U.S. citizenship (if you have not previously established your citizenship with us) or immigration status;
•    Legal name change; and
•    Identity.
•    Take (or mail) your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office

Marriage: In addition to showing a legal document proving your marriage, you must provide an identity document. That document must show your old name, as well as other identifying information or a recent photograph.
In most cases, you can mail or take your application and original documents to your local Social Security office.  You can receive up to 3 replacement cards at no fee.

How to change your name on your passport…
There are fees to change your passport information if your passport is more than 1 year old.   

Applying for a US passport can be fast and easy if you get all your documents in order before you start. You will need proof of US citizenship, two photos, the application fee and a filled-out application form. You are very well advised to phone your local passport acceptance office in advance, as many are on appointment-only schedules.

Your proof of US citizenship is your birth certificate or naturalization papers. If you have changed your name since birth, you will need proof of the name change which could be either a marriage license or court order.

Note that birth certificates and marriage licenses need to be official copies, not unofficial photocopies. They need to be issued by the state, county or city in which you were born. Hospital-issued birth certificates are not accepted. Please click on passports for location information.

If for any reason you find this information to be incorrect please contact us and let us know.  We appreciate your feed back.  

How to obtain a birth certificate…
Birth Certificates are handled at your County Courthouse in the Register & Recorders office.  They can advise you of the current cost for your birth certificate and you will need to present photo identification.  Please click on Birth Certificates for location information

Another way to obtain a birth certificate is to contact your State Senator or State Representative.

PLEASE NOTE:  requirements often change. The information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice. It is important that you verify all information with your local government office before making any wedding or travel plans. Please notify us of any oversights or errors.   

This is a free reference guide only.
Copyright © 2008 - 2019 Cindy B. consulting. All Rights Reserved.